Following unusual and increasingly strange noises from the pond pump and then noticing a lack of power, Chris G retrieved it from the icy depths and diagnosed bearing troubles. It went off to Lanes but, with its guarantee expired, a replacement had to be bought (gulp!) Taking a pump out of a pond and replacing it is not that easy. I'm not that good when it comes to electricity but I do know that it doesn't mix well with water and I didn't fancy retrieving a load of dead fish floating on the surface! The fact that I confused the pump with the garden lights and was attempting to convince Chris that it was only low voltage.............as if!!! His look said it all and in a flash (!) I realised my error. A heavy duty pond pump couldn't possibly run on low voltage!
The power cables have to be threaded through underwater pipes and then the hose needs attaching and much of this work takes place in the middle of the pond where the water is deepest balanced on a springy ladder with a very narrow plank! Then there are all the electrical connections and after that all the protective pipes then had to be recovered with pebbles and hidden from view. Needless to say, he did a perfect job (with nothing dropped in the pond) and the pump is up and running so the fish have oxygenated water again. Maybe, they won't eat the frog (or toad) spawn or the emerging tadpoles!
Post a Comment