|As it still looks today|
It then moved to Zermatt Close and sat at the end of the drive for months. My Daddy and I moved it down to the bottom of the garden and decided to plant a clematis in it so that it would trail down in a naturally artistic fashion. A (macropetala) clematis was duly purchased along with suitable compost. We managed to put about 2 double handfuls of compost before realising that a cylinder connected the open top with a hole in its base. No room for either compost or roots! Now I knew why it hadn't sunk! It couldn't fill with water! Not to be outdone and despite weighing several hundredweights, My Daddy took it away, cut it in half, removed the cylinder and then welded it back together again using oxyacetylene. We then lugged it back down to the bottom of the garden and heaved it (artistically!) on to a plinth of bricks. I painted it metallic silver to replicate the original colour it was when first fished from the sea. The clematis was duly planted and thrived. However, we never saw a single bloom! The garden faced due south and the clematis preferred to face the sun so all we ever saw was buoy!
|Hemmick Beach - salvage scene|
In the spring of 2010, our old buoy got some company in the form of an old rusting anchor brought back from Cornwall as a wedding anniversary souvenier.