|The 'House for Hens'|
We eventually finished restoration work on the 'House for Hens' (despite certain difficulties in the door manufacturing department - and with their manufacturer!) All was well that ended well and wobbly screws were removed and replaced and doors straightened! I made little copper sills and door strips with scalloped edges to keep the rain out and help prevent the ply de-laminating. In time, the copper will weather and turn a lovely green - if the structure lasts that long!
The entire house was sanded down and repainted after the inside had been thoroughly creosoted (which Chris discovered all over his hands when lifting it back onto its pole!). The Hennery has now been swept out, the old wood chip removed (and used to make a woodland path) and disinfected with Jeyes fluid. Chris G called and placed mortar where certain rodents had been gnawing meaning that they no longer have a direct route in. New woodchip has now been laid and everything awaits the arrival of our new flock next month. I can hardly wait as the garden seems SO totally empty without any kind of livestock!
Post a Comment