|The old brick path...|
|Spot the stop tap cover.|
Our old brick path was a tad lethal when wet as it was so very slippery. Also its narrow tight curves meant difficulties with wheelbarrow negotiations. Weeds and forget-me-nots used to self seed in all the cracks and crevises as originally the bricks had been laid on sand with (to my discovery!) dry cement. It needed a bit of a make-over.
|The finished path.|
This week, Chris and I lifted and stacked all the bricks, widened the path by one brick and relaid them in mortar and pointed them up with more mortar. Not only does it look really lovely, we know that it's unlikely ever to move and it's MUCH easier and safer! Also, there are no gaps and joints in which weeds can grow.
Chris widened it a little more near its junction with the Service Path making it even easier for wheelbarrow traffic to swing round. We found a few old Victorian blues - 2 diamond patterned and I also found an old cast iron stop tap cover which we incorporated into the path. We retained the traditional dog's tooth edging. The following day, we rubbed down all the mortar and it's a HUGE improvement. Guess who's very pleased with her new path!
Post a Comment